Obama wins in a landslide

Play nice.
If discussions turn into personal attacks against other forum members there will be consequences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Obama wins in a landslide

Postby ghost » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:36 am

When you can spell names and point to black bias, I will respond.
ghost
Master of Chaos

Postby Kage72 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:17 am

ghost wrote:When you can spell names and point to black bias, I will respond.

Lol, It's Mr. Popular vote again. :) Using excuses now are we? Mispelling is a pretty bad one, lol.

As far as the 2nd part. Everyone knows that Obama got almost all the black vote. Are you seriously doubting that? But, the main bias was the news media. They weren't biased towards black. They were just biased towards Obama. It's been proven in study after study done after the elections. It's why the New York Post's stock plummeted. You can't get away with that crap in every town, lol. But, I live in Los Angeles. California is a hardcore Democratic state. So, they could write all the negaitve Palin stuff they wanted.

I'm curious. To have a little better understanding of your mentality.. Where do you live and how old are you? Just curious. It might give me a better perspective on your outlook. That's the difference between us. I try to understand the other side. Altho, I can even admit that this discussion has at times gotten me upset to post calmly as i should. :)
Kage72
King & International Playboy

Postby SilentRain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:11 am

ghost wrote:What are you saying?

I'm saying the double standard in American society regarding white and black is real and people will just have to live with it. The main cause of this double standard is the huge gap in socio-economic power between different social groups which are visibly identified, by physical features, as white and black. This leads to different social expectation and treatments, which may not be correct all the time, but people wouldn't discard it because it makes life easier for everyone. And the key reason why this is not racism is that this is social prejudice based on race, not legal prejudice based on race. I can live with social prejudice based on race because social prejudice will exist and based on one thing or another, legal prejudice is no justice and that's why it's a different story.
SilentRain
Practitioner of Chaos

Postby SilentRain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:28 am

Kage72 wrote:REALLY? I'd love for you to point out a single incident where McCain used race. It WAS actually Obama that brought up race. And, if you don't think race effected his votes, then you are TRULY niave. A complete nobody that monopolized the black vote. Yeah, there was no race involved. Now, I won't pretend that race hasn't been a factor in every election. But, just never so obvious as this one.

McCain camp did spread misinformation about him being a Muslim and that is not acceptable; I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of neutral votes go to Obama just because McCain camp thinks accusing Obama of being Muslim will help their chances.

Obama may have monopolized the black votes, but that's how the blacks choose to vote, and that's their right. What you fail to understand is that race is involved and there's nothing wrong with that. It may be a problem for Obama to monopolize the black votes, but it's a bigger problem for McCain to not being able to gain blacks' support. If Obama can gain supports of whites, why can't McCain gain supports of blacks?
SilentRain
Practitioner of Chaos

Postby Thundergod » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:46 pm

SilentRain wrote:If Obama can gain supports of whites, why can't McCain gain supports of blacks?

Now there's a thought.
Order is for idiots, genius can handle chaos.
Thundergod
Forum Deity

Postby Kage72 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:15 pm

SilentRain wrote:
Kage72 wrote:REALLY? I'd love for you to point out a single incident where McCain used race. It WAS actually Obama that brought up race. And, if you don't think race effected his votes, then you are TRULY niave. A complete nobody that monopolized the black vote. Yeah, there was no race involved. Now, I won't pretend that race hasn't been a factor in every election. But, just never so obvious as this one.

McCain camp did spread misinformation about him being a Muslim and that is not acceptable; I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of neutral votes go to Obama just because McCain camp thinks accusing Obama of being Muslim will help their chances.

Obama may have monopolized the black votes, but that's how the blacks choose to vote, and that's their right. What you fail to understand is that race is involved and there's nothing wrong with that. It may be a problem for Obama to monopolize the black votes, but it's a bigger problem for McCain to not being able to gain blacks' support. If Obama can gain supports of whites, why can't McCain gain supports of blacks?

Because the media influenced the ignorant white vote. lol :) My best friend once told me that he wanted Obama. Now, I know my friend doesn't follow the first thing about politics. I'm not even sure he knew which party he was in, lol. But, just went to show how he had gotten the ignorant vote. Now, it's argueable that he got his opinion from other people around him/wife. But, let's just say he doesn't hang out with people that think/talk politics. :)

I honestly do consider myself a very fair person. Fanatisism limits your own growth. Altho, i do admit when I get my emotions going, i can argue rather obsessively. I liked Obama when I 1st saw him. Seemed cool. I liked McCain's war history of patriotism, but wasn't sure of his character. The more I followed the coverage, I heard/saw more and more questionable things about Obama that I just wasn't satified with conclusion. The associations he had just were not covered to my satisfaction. Had he ever been in Bill Aire's house at all? He supposedly had his political career launched there? I never saw facts to prove either side. What's the deal with his preacher preaching hatred. Saying we deserved 9/11 and "G-Damn American". He was his spiritual advisor? Aside from that, I just didn't see the history of experience I anticipated.

On the other hand, I learned more and more about McCain. The details of his POW experience. I questioned his character in regards to his divorce to his wife to eventually marry younger wife. But, the came to find out what a humanitarian she was travelling the world to help people. How she brought two babies home from one of these countries and John welcomed them happily. I learned how McCain used to be the Democrat's #1 favorite Republican because he was so middle-right. How he was "the kind of Republican they could vote for". Then, as I watched the coveraged I saw how he was constantly treated like another "George Bush". Sure he had some associations with him. He was the president of U.S. and their party. But, there was just such a blatant misrepresentation of him in the media it was somewhat irritating. While it seemed any question of Obama's past was represented as people just pushing hate.

The acorn issue was somewhat irritating as well. I realize there is corruption in almost every election. But, the blatant proof they had was appauling. It was no question to whom that was favoring. I also just remember when a person's political decisions was one's own personal thing to an extent. The "Celebrity appeal" of electing is scarey. The idea of people voting for somebody they know nothing about seems dangerous. I know it happens all the time on both sides. But, when the media is so biased to one side it just doesn't seem fair. Front page news about every Palin story, yet nothing about the Obama questions. So, altho I had chosen McCain based on the information I saw, I just got upset over what I was seeing in the media.

I realize there are many Obama supporters that are very intelligent and truly believe in his abilities. He very well might be a brilliant leader. That has yet to be seen. I was justst afraid of taking the chance on "lack of experience" amidst these troubling times. My reasons aren't partisan. As I have stated before, I wish they would abolish the party system. They just promote fanatical thinking. People aren't broken down into 2 different mentalitities. But, to get elected in this country you must conform to one or the other to an extent. Because the fanatic aspect of the 2 parties take away any chance for an "Independant".
Kage72

Postby SilentRain » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:41 pm

Kage72 wrote:Because the media influenced the ignorant white vote.

That is the freedom of speech for you. In my own opinion, freedom of speech in US is going overboard and the ignorant get swayed easily one direction or another. But by the end of the day, that's how the system works: media says whatever they want, and people vote however they want. The best we can do is educate our children to think for themselves instead of blindly follow the media.

As for Bill Ayers issue, his connection with Bill Ayers does not concern me. A candidate's associations and morals are not part of my concerns. On the other hand, I think it is important for a president to understand the criminals and the social deviants. I don't want a good vs. evil society, I want a society where goods and evils work together for common interests.
SilentRain
Practitioner of Chaos

Postby Numenor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:02 am

SilentRain wrote: But by the end of the day, that's how the system works: media says whatever they want, and people vote however they want.

The media can't say what they want. It's like saying a car company can produce any trash, people gonna buy it anyway. In the end, any newspaper or television channel is a product that will disappear if it doesn't sell.
Numenor
High King & International Playboy

Postby Kage72 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:00 am

yeah, but newspapers and major new organizations are supposed to report all the news. Not, only the news to influence an election one way or the other. If not, where are we supposed to get our unbiased news from? What sucks is that they all have to compete with all the newer forms of media out there to an extent that is HAS become a popularity contest more than a Beacon for unbiased news. News that won't sell, or is unpopular can just be omitted.

But, I'm like my man Dennis Miller. Nothing we can do now. I don't wanna hate my new president. I don't wanna be like all the Bush haters were. I hope everything turns out good for my Country. Which, so far Obama has been surprising alot of us. He has been much more right-center than anyone coulda predicted. Many say that he is just a pragmatist and realizes he can't keep all the promises he made. He's got the chair now and he doesn't seem to wanna ruin it. So, he won't be able to follow thru on his campaign promises. But, he'll probably try to do such a good job it won't matter in the end. It's early to say, but still following the news. :)
Kage72

Postby Thundergod » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:40 am

Agreed newspapers need to sell to stay in business.

Rupert Murdoch (Australian) owns a lot of US newspapers.
Do you think he'd report biased news?
I think he'd keep it balannced to sell more papers.
Why sell to only either the Democrats or the Republicans when you can sell to both?
Thundergod
Forum Deity

Postby SilentRain » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:46 pm

What we have to understand is that media industry in US consists of private businesses just like every industry in US, this is our way of doing things and we live with both benefits and harms of this method. In conjunction with freedom of speech, US media is free to report whatever they wish (with exceptions to nation security and misinformation), and the audience will have to decide who to listen to, what to think, and who to buy the news from.

If you prefer a source that is unbiased and regulated (for the sake of fairness and certain extents of censorship that comes with it), try a non-American media source.
SilentRain
Practitioner of Chaos

Postby Kage72 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Thundergod wrote:Agreed newspapers need to sell to stay in business.

Rupert Murdoch (Australian) owns a lot of US newspapers.
Do you think he'd report biased news?
I think he'd keep it balannced to sell more papers.
Why sell to only either the Democrats or the Republicans when you can sell to both?

Sell a few papers vs Influence president

Compare the prize to the cost. Don't you think there is money in the prize? :)
Kage72

Postby Thundergod » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:44 am

Aussies aren't the same when it comes to politics as you Americans are.
We're not zealots.
I'm jujst as likely to call my Prime Minister "Kev" as I am "Mr Prime Minister".
It would depend on the setting and my mood.
I was talking to the office of the former opposition leader yesterday and refered to him formally.
That was because I was talking to his staff.
If and when I speak to him personally I'll ask if I can call him by his first name.

We aren't in awe of our politicians.
We aren't starstruck by them.
Thundergod
Forum Deity

Postby Kage72 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 am

Thundergod wrote:Aussies aren't the same when it comes to politics as you Americans are.
We're not zealots.
I'm jujst as likely to call my Prime Minister "Kev" as I am "Mr Prime Minister".
It would depend on the setting and my mood.
I was talking to the office of the former opposition leader yesterday and refered to him formally.
That was because I was talking to his staff.
If and when I speak to him personally I'll ask if I can call him by his first name.

We aren't in awe of our politicians.
We aren't starstruck by them.

The country is too divided amongst the 2 main parties. :/ I am definitily not in awe of politicians or like them as celebritites. I just want a good leader that can defend the country and look out for it's best interests. I feel most of politics is corrupt. I think many might get into it for the right intentions, but realize they need to play the game if they wanna continue. I mean, you moreless need to be in 1 of the 2 parties to get anywhere. So, you have to play by the party rules to stay in it. Which is why i wish they would just abolish the party system and figure out a way to force people to vote on the candidate's views, not the parties. But, that will probably never happen. The 2 parties are so deeply imbedded, they will never allow change.

Oh well, the party is over here. I hope for the best. I hope Obama does a great job.
Kage72

Postby Numenor » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Kage72 wrote:Which is why i wish they would just abolish the party system and figure out a way to force people to vote on the candidate's views, not the parties.

People in the USA already do that. You don't vote for parties, you vote for the president directly. It's not like you vote for democrats and if they win then they decide if they put Obama or Hillary into office.

But if you don't like political parties, how about you move to China :P
Numenor
High King & International Playboy

PreviousNext

Return to Politics