Halflings

Discuss plans for winning here. Think you know the ultimate way to win? Or ask for help from the experts.

Halflings

Postby Parallelopiped » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm clearly playing the little guys all wrong.
What's the strategy?
Parallelopiped
Chaotic Initiate

Re: Halflings

Postby Chip » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 am

it depends.

you should be milking your theft options.....playing to your strengths....e.g you early race buildings...

and tying your racial units in with a rush to the stables....

depends on lots of views of what everyone else is building to work out the best strategy
Chip
King & Data Discombobulator

Postby clown » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Haflings are a cross between Humans and Keldis, from a skill standpoint. You should rush to get the MG and racial buildings. Build hard once you get the Eng School. With the reconstruction of their build path making it too hard to get their better units, you need to get gold and build hard. Stay out of the fighting. IMHO
clown
High King & International Playboy

Postby Parallelopiped » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:11 pm

I rushed to get Farmstead but now can't get MG because of TG (thieving seems remarkably unprofitable, btw - am I doing it wrong?). My racial units seem less good than the normal ones (the regulars are a cross between a swordsman and a shieldbearer but have the problem that when you attack you're killing off all you defence)
I guess I just have to maintain a smaller land base than everyone else and try to build fast?
Parallelopiped
Chaotic Initiate

Postby Streamline » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 am

you can still build the MG and TG if your halfling as you need the TG for the farmstead and the MG for the long hall
If your reading this, send me a drink
Streamline
Master of Chaos

Postby Parallelopiped » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 pm

I thought only humans could have both MG and TG - is this wrong?
Parallelopiped
Chaotic Initiate

Postby Chip » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm

it was humans,

i set up halflings to have both too.... i am not sure if Streamline thought it was a bug and took that option away.

try it and report back :)
Chip

Postby candleja » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Parallelopiped wrote:(thieving seems remarkably unprofitable, btw - am I doing it wrong?)

There are those who would argue that using thieves at all in an age with fewer than 20 players is definitely doing it wrong, but there's not really much you can do about that. And if you're playing a race that can build both guilds, go for it.
candleja

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:22 pm

i play thieves as dwarf now. the scholars spire and alchemist guilde with grandmine make up for the lack of the merchant guild bonus.... and the assassins shelter is useful in a small age.
Chip

Postby clown » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:02 am

I always get the MG. If I am playing humans r haflings i will use thieves, otherwise it is useless to get thieves. But that said, sometimes certain empires will stock stupid amounts of resources and it pays off using thieves.
clown

Postby candleja » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Chip wrote:i play thieves as dwarf now. the scholars spire and alchemist guilde with grandmine make up for the lack of the merchant guild bonus.... and the assassins shelter is useful in a small age.

Assassins are useful in any size age. They just get kind of broken in a large age, once people outside the top 20 start getting them. In any case, I've always gone for the TG as a dwarf, even back when alchemists didn't have a guild bonus and assassins didn't exist. Mainly for cloth reasons. That was also before the exchange, so it's possible things have changed - but everyone still needs cloth, even Keldis.
candleja

Postby Chip » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:20 am

true, but mostly people outside top 20 only get them once there ar 2 rp starters, and we don;t have the problems with teams that we used to have. people only ten to play solo or in ally pairs now.
Chip

Return to Strategy